Dragon Summer Camps and Comics for Excellence are back for another year! Stay tuned for all the exciting details!!
Spring has sprung! And that means Easter weekend is upon us!
We will be closed at both locations on Good Friday and Easter Sunday.
We will be OPEN on Easter Monday, and you won’t believe your eyes when you see the downtown store (because apparently Jenn and Robert feel like it’s been too long since they renovated anything…)
Thanks so much to Jeff Lemire and Ray Fawkes for visiting us for a signing on March 22nd! We were lucky to have Ray here for the official launch of his new horror book “Underwinter”, while Jeff was here in support of “Royal City”. We even had a surprise visit from “Three Thieves” and “Two Generals” creator Scott Chantler!
Read an interview with Jeff Lemire here: https://www.guelphmercury.com/news-story/7205485-royal-city-comic-book-series-loosely-based-on-guelph/
Hey kids! Level up your March Break with Dragon D&D and Magic: the Gathering Camps! Take part in a custom Dungeons & Dragons campaign with in house Dungeon Master Sandy Maclean OR explore the LITERAL THOUSANDS of ways to play Magic cards with in house Magic Master Will Wellington!
D&D runs Monday through Friday 12-3 at The Dragon South.
Magic: the Gathering runs Monday through Friday 11-3 at The Dragon Downtown
Registration is $100 per kid for both camps! Hurry! Space is VERY LIMITED! Visit or call us at either location or email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your spot! Or fill out this handy dandy form: goo.gl/forms/n2BtALwlsXzG1H9i2
We present our 25 bestselling trade paper backs and graphic novels from 2016. For the sake of not repeating ourselves too much, we’ve removed multiple volumes of the same title, only showing the top selling volume of each series.
We once again see Saga topping the list, with another Vaughn series coming right behind. And we also see the decline of the popularity of Walking Dead, which has been either 1 or 2 for the last few years, but now drops to #6. And as always, the list is full of Canadians and for the first time, we’re seeing a strong effect of movies on tpb sales, as seen at #5 and #15.
If you’re looking for something new to read, look no further than this list for inspiration!
- Saga vol.6 by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples
- Paper Girls vol.1 by Brian K. Vaughn and Cliff Chiang
- Lumberjanes vol.1 by Noelle Stevenson, Shannon Watters, and Brooke A. Allen
- Amulet vol.7 by Kazu Kibuishi
- Batman Killing Joke by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland
- Walking Dead vol.25 by Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard
- Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier
- Rat Queens vol.3 by Kurtis J. Wiebe and Tess Fowler
- Descender vol.1 by Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen
- Sex Criminals vol.3 by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky
- East of West vol.1 by Jonathan Hickman and Nick Dragotta
- Monstress vol.1 by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda
- Secret Path by Gord Downie and Jeff Lemire
- Ms Marvel vol.1 by G. Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona
- Civil War by Mark Millar and Steve McNiven
- Darth Vader vol.1 by Kieron Gillen and Salvador Larocca
- Bait: Off-Colour Stories for You to Colour by Chuck Palahniuk and various
- Wicked and Divine vol.3 by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie
- DC Superheroes Origins: Superman by Matthew K Manning and Luciano Vecchio
- Chew vol.11 by John Layman and Rob Guillory
- Low vol.1 by Rick Remender and Greg Tocchini
- Batman vol.1 Court of Owls by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo
- Black Science vol.1 by Rick Remender and Matteo Scalera
- Wytches vol.1 by Scott Snyder and Jock
- Batman the Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale
The Dragon is opening a NEW second location in the South end of Guelph! Visit our new amazing home at 987 Gordon Street, at the corner of Gordon and Kortright, starting in mid-November.
Watch our Twitter (@dragonguelph) and Facebook (dragonguelphsouth) for more details!
We won’t be running gaming events there at first, but we do have a games room for future Magic and Pokemon events. Please note, due to gaming space restrictions, we will not be offering miniature games at the South end store.
We are excited to be able to offer Board Game Rentals on our top selling games at the South end store! One day rentals will be 10% of the purchase price of the game, and if you choose to buy the game later, we’ll take the rental fee off the purchase price!
Want to switch your subscription to the South end store? Give us a couple of weeks to get set up, and then we’d be happy to accommodate the move!
Phone Number: 519-265-4552
Monday to Tuesday 10-6
Wednesday to Friday 10-7
Visit the Guelph Public Library main branch and pick up a map. Follow that map to participating businesses, who’ll be handing out candy (and maybe a few other treats)!
End your day at The Dragon, where you’ll get a pile of FREE comics, as part of www.halloweencomicfest.com.
Hand in your map at The Dragon, and be entered to win fabulous prizes from all the participating businesses!
Downtown Guelph Business Association (www.downtownguelph.com)
Guelph Public Library (www.guelphpl.ca)
Simply Wonderful (www.simplywonderfultoys.ca)
Killer Cupcakes (www.killercupcakes.ca)
Play with Clay (www.playwithclayguelph.com)
Wyndham Art Supplies (www.wyndhamartsupplies.com)
Nutty Chocolatier (www.thenuttychocolatier.com)
Edge Opticians (www.edgeopticians.com)
Fantescapes Escape Rooms (www.fantescapes.com)
Although this event is intended for families with young children, The Dragon will have thousands of free comics for kids and adults alike.
Thank you, Guelph for voting us #1 in categories of
BEST GIFT STORE
BEST SPECIALTY STORE
We’re so proud to have been part of the Guelph community for 18 years, but the best is yet to come! Stay tuned for some AMAZING news!
For 17 years, we have offered you one of the most flexible subscription policies of any store, anywhere. Unfortunately, we’ve had a large number of customers abandon their subscriptions over the years, resulting in us having to reshelve thousands upon thousands of dollars of books. There are three negative side-effects to this.
- Customers who really want those books can’t get them, because they’re being held by someone who isn’t actually going to pick them up.
- By the time they are pulled from an abandoned sub and placed on the shelves, they’re no longer in demand.
- This leads to an ever-growing stock of backissues, which pile up so quickly, that we have to rent an off-site storage unit just to house them all.
The long and short of this is that we have thousands of dollars in lost sales every year, with an increasing expense in staff costs to maintain the backissues and rental costs to store them.
We’ve been thinking long and hard about how to develop our policy so that it is fair to everyone, and also financially feasible for us. As a result, we have come up with this solution. This policy will go into place on Wednesday, August 3rd.
- All subscribers must provide us with an email address
- If we do not see you within 1 month, we will send a courtesy email
- We hope you will take the time to come and clear out your box, or cancel your subscription
- If we do not hear from you 1 week from the email being sent, we will put your books back on the shelf and stop your subscription
- Everyone loses track of time – you can reactivate your subscription once after it has been stopped, however, if your subscription is stopped twice, we ask that you shop from the shelves, rather than subscription
- If you know you will be unable to pick up your books within a month, you can choose to be put on credit card terms, where your books will be automatically charged to your credit card each week. You then own them and can pick them up when you return.
- We expect you will clear out your subscription box on each visit. If you are leaving books in your box, books older than 1 month will be re-shelved.*
- Please keep on top of your subscription – If you know you don’t want to keep reading a series, please cancel it as soon as possible.
*We will begin reshelving books older than a month after close on Tuesday, August 9th. If you have books lingering in your box, make a plan to pick them up asap!
Thank you for your understanding and your ongoing support of The Dragon.