- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- January 2016
- November 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
Here’s our annual run-down of our top-selling trade paperbacks of the year. Some series were notable standouts this year: Saga dominated all sales, with Adventure Time a strong seller with each volume. Walking Dead unsurprisingly appears on this list again, but not a single volume of Walking Dead outsold Saga 1 or 2, or Adventure Time vol.1. But for the purpose of having a list that isn’t just Saga, Adventure Time, and Walking Dead, we’ve only included the top selling volume of each series.
1. Saga by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples – This sci-fi war romance is our new bestseller at the store, unseating Walking Dead after 2 years at the top of this list.
2. Adventure Time by Ryan North and various – This series based on the super-popular cartoon has attracted the attention of a wide variety of readers, and our sales numbers prove it.
3. Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard – All the Walking Dead volumes remain perennial bestsellers for us. People can’t get enough of this comic series, and it’s great to see so many previously non-comic readers embracing comics for the first time!
4. Blacksad by Juan Díaz Canales (writer) and Juanjo Guarnido (artist) – This crime noir series originally published in French and featuring anthropomorphic characters has featured on our top sellers list for the past three years, proving just how good it is.
5. True Patriot by J. Torres, Jay Stephens, Scott Chantler, Tom Fowler, and more – This is the result of a number of hugely talented Canadian creators coming together to collaborate on a Canadian superhero anthology. The Dragon was very happy to back this Indiegogo campaign and is featured in the very first story in the book!
6. Hawkeye by Matt Fraction and David Aja – The top selling “mainstream” book on our list is a reinvention of an otherwise somewhat minor character in the Marvel universe. It has garnered lots of attention ever since it was first published last year, and continues to gain fans.
7. Comeback by Ed Brisson and Michael Walsh – A fantastic creative team and an enthralling story about crime and time-travel have combined to make this one of our customers’ favourite picks of the year.
8. Avatar the Last Airbender by various – This series is based on the hit animated series Avatar the Last Airbender, with each volume continuing the story. A favourite with kids and adult fans of the show.
9. Mouse Guard by David Petersen – We love Mouse Guard for readers of all-ages, and volume 3 hit the shelves this year with great success. We were thrilled to have had David Petersen in the store this year for a signing!
10. East of West by Jonathan Hickman and Nick Dragotta – This is the book we tell people to read once they’ve finished Saga. It’s a wild sci-fi ride with a unique romance story that will leave you wishing more than one volume was out.
11. Batman (New 52) by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo – Batman is always a good seller, but we particularly love Scott Snyder at the shop, and his books always sell well.
12. Attack on Titan by Hajime Isayama – This is the first time a manga has featured so high on our list, and definitely the first time there have been 3 manga on the list. Clearly the “manga decline” hasn’t hit us yet. Of course, this is the most wildly popular manga series to be released in years!
13. Black Butler by Yana Toboso – This has been a best-seller in the manga community for a few years now, but it seems to be only increasing in popularity.
14. Batman Black Mirror by Scott Snyder and Jock – Another Snyder favourite! Even though this story is about Dick Grayson as Batman, instead of Bruce Wayne, it still stands up as one of the best Batman stories to come out in recent years.
15. 20th Century Boys vol.1 by Naoki Urasawa – Urasawa is a national treasure in Japan and his books tend to appeal to a Western audience more than other traditional manga. This mind-bending series has won several Eisner awards.
16. Chew vol.1 by John Layman and Rob Guillory – This unique story about a detective who eats items to solve crimes is another perennial favourite.
17. Underwater Welder by Jeff Lemire – We love all of Lemire’s works at the store, and while we’re surprised Sweet Tooth vol.6 is not on the list, we’re pleased that Lemire is represented. This is a heartfelt story, with a bit of a Twilight Zone feel.
18. Batwoman vol.1 Elegy by Greg Rucka and J.H. Williams III – Not only is Rucka a phenomenal writer, especially when it comes to writing women, but Williams art is out of this world. This is the best Batwoman story ever written!
19. Daredevil vol.1 by Mark Waid and Paolo Rivera – This relaunch of Daredevil takes him back to basics and delivers a superbly well-written story of crime and struggle.
20. Amulet vol.1 by Kazu Kibuishi – This is the hottest all-ages series since Bone, indicated by the number of people still buying volume 1. We’re sure volume 6 will be on our list at the end of 2014 (hoping it will come out in 2014).
The Dragon is pleased to announce the following events in rotation at the store:
3-6pm Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon
7-9pm 2nd Wednesday of the month – Book Club
5-9pm Casual Magic play
5:30-9pm Friday Night Magic
Warmachine tournament once a month
Warhammer 40K event once a month
Netrunner and X-Wing Miniatures leagues twice a month (starts Jan.25th), with open miniature gaming on limited tables. Sign-up for open gaming tables is encouraged.
alternating – Magic the Gathering event
alternating – Hero Clix
2nd Sunday of the month – Board Game Day
We are also pleased to offer other special events, such as Magic Pre-Releases and Game Days, in-store signings, and Netrunner and X-Wing tournaments to be announced.
More details on all these events are available on the Events Calendar.
With our Magic Born of the Gods Pre-Release just a couple of weeks away, here’s the information you need to have! For the first time ever, we are running 4 pre-release events and you may register in all 4 if you’d like!
Each one will have a $25 entry fee, 3.5 packs per person in the prize pool, and prizes for the top 40% of players.
Registration: Players are asked to pay in advance to secure their position and mana colour choice. You may sign-up here, on our Facebook or Twitter, by email, phone, or in person, however your colour choice will not be locked in until you provide payment.
Saturday and Sunday will have the same two events, for a total of 4 events:
Event #1: 32 people max. 9:30 registration, 10:00 deck building. 5 rounds of play, which should run until 3:30 with a lunch break.
Event #2: 16 people max. 4:30 registration, 5:00 deck building. 4 rounds of play, which should run until 9:40 with a dinner break.
As always, our events will use Swiss pairing and we will have judges on hand to facilitate any rules-calls. All Dragon in-store gaming rules apply, but we will be playing in the mall concourse.
Let us know if you have any questions!
We are very pleased to be announcing the following new events happening at The Dragon:
1. Star Wars X-Wing Minis are here! Responding to the huge demand from customers, we have decided to start running league play in the store on 2 Saturdays a month, from 2:30-6:30pm. The first one will be Saturday, January 25th. There will be several weeks of league play, with the winners (based on points) receiving cool exclusive prizes. More details to follow.
3. We will be having Championship Tournaments for both X-Wing and Netrunner in March!
4. Once a month on Saturday will be a Warhammer 40k Day, on which we will have special events or tournaments. The first one of these would ordinarily be February 1st, but as that is our Magic Pre-Release, we may have to postpone. Details to follow.
5. Store Wars! Check out www.facebook.com/storewars.ca for all the details about this tournament circuit. The short version is that The Dragon has joined 4 other stores for a Warmachine tournament circuit, culminating in a Grand Tournament in May/June. There will be a Major and a Minor tournament at each store involved, where players can earn points based on their standings. At the end of the season, the players with the highest points totals will be admitted to the Grand Tournament with a chance to win amazing prizes! Our Major tournament will be on February 22nd, with our Minor tournament to follow in March.
We hope you are as excited as we are about all these new events!
As usual, Magic remains on Thursdays (casual) and Fridays (FNM) with alternating Sundays; Board Games are the 2nd Sunday of every month; Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh are on Wednesdays from 3-6pm; HeroClix is on alternating Sundays.
See you soon!
On Wednesday, January 15th, from 2-6pm, come to the store to meet Eisner Award-winning writer Ryan North! He’s the creator of Dinosaur comics (http://www.qwantz.com/index.php), not to mention the writer of the insanely popular Adventure Time comic, and the fabulous new release, Midas Flesh. Come down to meet him and get your comics signed!
Big news: The Dragon is again hiring! Please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or in store. If you have submitted a resume before, please do so again.
You must include a cover letter which details your hours of availability, why you want to work at The Dragon, and your level of familiarity with the various product lines we carry (comics, Magic, board games, manga, mini games, etc.).
We will accept resumes until 9pm on Wednesday, January 8th. Interviews will be scheduled for January 9th and 10th and the job will begin as early as possible after that date.
Please note that The Dragon will be closed on Sunday January 5th for our annual inventory. This does mean that our regularly scheduled events, including the Magic event, have been cancelled for that day only.
Please also note that beginning Saturday, January 11th, we will only be open until 7pm on Saturdays.
Stay tuned for some exciting announcements about gaming at The Dragon as we move further into the new year!